Jan 19, 2015

Book Breakdown: Scarlet



As we continue looking into The Lunar Chronicles, I’m going to break down Scarlet into a few main points that I think Marissa Meyer did well. (Yes, I’m that other blogger Ashton mentioned who wouldn’t let her take all of TLC for herself. Mwahahaha!) Okay, so let’s get started!


Note: There will be spoilers, so read at your own risk.


  • Cameos and Little Golden Nuggets

If there is one thing this series does superbly it’s weaving in characters through little cameos before they get to share the stage. While you don’t really catch these at first, after the fact, looking back, you’ll see all of the wonderful little foreshadowing and nuggets Marissa Meyer planted. I guess that’s one of the perks of actually planning your novels before you write them… Heh… heheh (says the natural pantser)...


  • Multiple Plot Lines

Yet another thing that Marissa Meyer is the queen of. With three main plot lines going on in Scarlet (Kai’s, Cinder’s, and Scarlet’s), it would be really easy for the reader to just skip to the one they’re most interested in. But, in this book, each one has its own set of goals, conflicts, obstacles, and lovable characters. Marissa Meyer did a great job at balancing each one out and making sure that the reader was always equally interested in each of them.


  • Strong Characters With Weaknesses

This is really clear with Wolf. He’s a genetically modified Lunar soldier, so clearly he’s got some strength. And he is a strong character, emotionally as well. He has some tough decisions to face, what with defying his brother and all, but he also has moments of weakness. There are moments in his and Scarlet’s relationship where Scarlet’s pulling him together and helping him up from a fall, not just the other way around. I really, really like this. It’s great character development. And this leads me into my next point:


  • Scarlet’s and Wolf’s Relationship

They are probably the cutest couple so far (in my opinion) in The Lunar Chronicles. Wolf is so awkward, and he’s so concerned about Scarlet. I think what makes this relationship so amazing, though, (to read about, mind you) is the fact that Wolf’s so concerned about injuring Scarlet himself. He cares so much about her, but he’s scared to be around her. He’s scared of having one of his “wolfish instances” and lashing out at her. And Scarlet just comforts him and refuses to let him leave. It’s absolutely adorable.


  • Fantastic Characterization

I don’t know how she does this, but Marissa Meyer has made an android one of my favorite characters ever. Iko is a computer chip, for goodness’ sake, but she’s so likeable. When Cinder puts her chip in the Rampion, her comment is “I’m enormous.” It’s such an Iko thing to say, and I love that Marissa Meyer developed a piece of technology to be one of Cinder’s closest friends.


  • Tough Decisions and Sacrifice

Kai is faced with a really tough decision in this book. He can either be happy and marry someone he loves, or he can sacrifice his own personal happiness and marry Levana to save his people. But, wait, there’s even more to it than that. While marrying Levana will stop the immediate attacks on earth, once he’s married her, she’ll use her position to begin her conquest of the rest of the world. Tsk, tsk. Kai, you’ve definitely gotten yourself into a bit of a pickle, haven’t you?




Alright, so overall, this book is a great sequel, a great middle-of-the-series book. The characters we’ve already come to love in the first book are further developed, while at the same time, new characters are introduced with a storyline of their own. The stakes are raised, and the conflict becomes even more serious and urgent.


Now, a question for y’all: If you’ve read it, what was your favorite part of Scarlet? Do you agree with me, or are there some points you disagree on? (Okay, okay, that was two questions… oops… :)

~Katheline Hansen

4 comments:

  1. Great breakdown! I have not read the series, maybe I will some day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're ever looking for a book (or 5 hehe...) to read, you definitely should! It's one of my favorite series! :D

      Delete
  2. Great post! I'm going to try and borrow your "list" method for mine on Cress! Hopefully it'll work as well for me as it did for you! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yay! I'm glad you liked my "list" method! I just skimmed your post because I have to go to school and I'm already running a bit late, but it seems it worked wonderfully! :D

      Delete